Thoughts on the 2018 Midterm Elections

Ty'Jon Streets, Staff Writer

The Midterm election this year was a highly important date marked by every political enthusiast’s calendar. This election is not just picking our representatives to the 116th Congress, but the results of this election foretell the future of the presidency of Donald Trump. This midterm election was fueled by a fiery opposition by Democrats who are tired of the Presidents behavior. Here are some events that happened during the election.

In this annual election, there were 35 Senate seats, 16 Governors positions, and all 435 seats in the House of Represents were opened. This election saw a rise of Progressive views and a higher participation for women (in particular, minority women). The Republicans took over 53 seats in the Senate and the Democrats took the House of Representatives for the first time since it was taken by the GOP in 2010 according to CNN’s midterm election map.

There were a handful of Democratic representatives who ran a good campaign but lost such as Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke who ran against Sen. Ted Cruz. O’Rourke’s passionate campaign changed a lot of hearts in Texas and even flipped hardcore Republicans to go for the Democratic challenger. But despite his passion, there were enough conservative Texans to get Sen. Cruz re-elected. But his high spirit in Texas has caught the eye of the nation for a 2020 presidential run.

The midterms were also a big leap for the African American community. Andrew Gillum of Florida, Stacy Abrams of Georgia, and Ben Jealous of Maryland all ran against underqualified GOP candidates and would have become the first African American governors of their state.

The Andrew Gillum and Ron Desantis election was the closest gubernatorial race in Florida state history and ended in a recount. In the end, after a long recount, Gillium suspended his campaign giving the victory to Desantis.

Stacy Abrams’ defeat was the most tragic in the whole campaign. Abrams ran against Brian Kemp, Georgia’s Secretary of State. Due to the high levels of voter registrations being purged by Kemp and the fact that Abrams could not sue him over the matter, She declared him the victor in her concession speech, saying “concession means to acknowledge an action is right, true or proper. As a woman of conscience and faith, I cannot concede. But my assessment is that the law currently allows no further viable remedy.”

This election brought the end to Moderate Democrats with the defeats of Sen. Bill Nelson in Florida, against Governor Rick Scott, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, against Rep. Kevin Creamer.

But history was made, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York won her election against Anthony Pappas but made history after defeating Joe Crowley in the Democratic primary. Crowler was set to take over Nancy Pelosi as Speaker Of The House, so Cortez’s victory was super important for Progressive Democrats.

There was a victory for the LGBT community. Rep. Jared Polis, who is an openly gay man became the Governor-elect of Colorado after defeating Walker Stapleton, the Secretary of the Treasurer.

New rep-elects such as Ayanna Pressley, who was a teacher, is the first African American person and woman to represent Massachusetts. Ilhan Omar is gong be the first Somali and Muslim woman to represent Minnesota and be in Congress.

The most important person that got elected has to be Lucy MacBath. MacBeth’s son was Jordan Davis, a young black teenager who got killed by a white supremacist because of his loud music. MacBath decided to run after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and has prided her campaign on gun reform and legislation.

The midterm elections were a change in the American character. The country wants to change for the better. Both the Republicans and Democrats have victories this year, but in the end, President Donald Trump has something to fear. This election could change the mood of the nation going into 2020 as well as a possible impeachment.