Pioneers Notch Road Win at TC

Seniors Corvondre Curate and Greg Fields provided the offense and stingy defense made it stand up. Oak Ridge defeated Timber Creek 36-7.

Curate,  the quarterback, and Fields, a running back, took turns doing their damage. For the running game, it was the first truly dominant effort for the Pioneers’ running game.

“We have watched film, and it’s clear that our running game can beat a lot of teams. So we mixed it up today, and we had a lot of success,” Curate said.

Fields credited his team’s offensive line with giving him opportunities to break loose.

“They got a good push up front, and I just run behind them,” Fields said. “Those holes were big tonight.”

In the first quarter, Curate connected with blossoming senior running back Deion Slade on a 40-yard touchdown. After Timber Creek answered with its only score of the game, Fields capped a second-quarter drive with a 7-yard touchdown run. That made it 14-7 at the half.

When the players returned from the locker room, it was all Pioneers. After senior linebacker Marquis Clerveaux delivered a crushing quarterback sack to end Timber Creek’s first drive of the second half, Curate found senior Demetrius Sanders in the end zone for a 9-yard score. Then Fields, who benefited from an offensive line firing on all cylinders, burst through several tackles for a 4-yard score in the third quarter.

Sanders, who has a knack for big plays, finished the rout off when he caught a short pass from Curate and dashed 90 yards for the score.

The win improved Oak Ridge to 3-3. The Pioneers, winners of three straight, will be tested in a key district game next Friday at Dr. Phillips.

“It’s a big game, but we’re going to treat it like a regular game,” Curate said.