Pioneers Pound Evans

Two weeks ago, Oak Ridge sophomore Junior Muratovic showed a flash of what he can do after coming off the bench to spark the offense against Pomona.

This week, that spark turned into a full-on blaze. Muratovic and the Pioneers caught fire for a 42-8 home win, the first of the season, against rival Evans.

Muratovic tossed four touchdown passes in his first start of the season, and the Pioneers defense pitched a shutout against an Eagles team that got its only score off a 62-yard interception return.

Muratovic picked up where he left off in mop-up duty two weeks ago, when he connected on some long passes late in the team’s 32-14 loss to Pomona, a Colorado school that traveled to Florida to play in a game that was supposed to be played at a neutral site but ended up taking place at the school’s Lee Leonard Stadium.

In the first quarter, the sophomore connected with speedy wide receiver Demetrius Sanders for a 17-yard touchdown. He followed it with a 9-yard touchdown pass to receiver Terrance Walthour in the second quarter.

“I’m surrounded by great athletes. They make my job easy,” Muratovic said after the game.

Senior running back Deon Slade flashed his blazing speed on an 11-yard run late in the first half. Then Senior Greg Fields hauled in a 23-yard Muratovic pass in the third quarter to make the score 28-8.

Senior Marvae Myers returned an interception 99 yards, which could be an school record. to put the Pioneers ahead 36-8. In the final quarter, Sanders scored again, this time on a 52-yard pass.

Oak Ridge (1-2) hosts Freedom Friday.