Oak Ridge Beats Freedom making Two Game Winning Streak

Damien Johnson, Sports Writer

Oak Ridge defeated Freedom, 38-7, Friday at Lee Leonard Field for the second win of the season.

Senior running back Greg Fields scored three times on the ground and the Pioneer defense allowed Freedom to score only once.

“It felt good. My boys, they blocked up front for me and they just led me to the end zone,” said Fields.

Oak Ridge (2-2) scored first on a touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Junior Muratovic, who connected with wide receiver Demetrius Sanders to make it 6-0. Freedom (1-3) took its only lead, 7-6, late in the first half when defensive back Junior Paul caught a tipped pass from Muratovic and returned it 57 yards for a touchdown.

The Pioneers regained the lead for good when Fields sprinted 75 yards for a touchdown. Minutes later, he busted through two tackles and scored on a 24-yard run to give his team an 18-7 lead. Fields added a third touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

Oak Ridge added two more scores. Joe Gaither caught a pass for a touchdown, and Josh Guilford scored late in the game when he reeled in a pass in the end zone.

“(This game was to) prove a statement how we (are) in the district,” Guilford said, adding that the team plans to put the win behind him and focus on the next game.

“We’ll just go out there and put up our best numbers next game and just do the same thing (for the) same outcome,” Guilford said.