The School Board’s Sept 2018 meeting discusses Budget, New Stadium, and Hispanic Heritage Month

Carl Joseph, Staff Writer

During the the school board meeting on Sept. 11 there was a lot discussions and decisions made pertaining to the 2018 – 2019 school year.

Orange County Public Schools voted on whether or not to built a new stadium for Windermere High School, which was built in back in 2017 due to overcrowding in neighboring schools.

After many complaints from parents on the lack of an on site stadium, OCPS decided to build a new stadium.

“Will stand willing and ready to construct an on site stadium for that school if and when the County Commission ever permits it.” says Bill Sublette, a Chairman of the school board counsel.

In other business, The School Board adopted Millage to support the 2018-19 budget, Total of 7.229, as opposed to the 7.470 of 2017-2018. The board also approved a general fund of 2.15 billion dollars.

Addition the the budget, The District will now recognize Hispanic Heritage month, in a 31 day period from Sept. 15- Oct. 15.

This time frame also covers a wide range of independence days from Latin America, such include Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua who all gained independence on the 15th of September. Others include Mexico on Sept 16th & Chile Sept 18.

The District will now also recognize Constitution day and Freedom week, this will take place on Sept.24-28, this week is intended to celebrate the principles and ideologies that America was founded on.