Pioneers Fall to Jones in Rivalry Game

Jasmine Boyens, Features Editor

Jones defeated Oak Ridge, 40-13, Aug. 31

The Tigers built a three-touchdown lead in the first half, and it was too much of a deficit for the Pioneers to erase.

Sophomore Demetrius Boney hooked up three times for touchdown strikes in the first half, and Jones added a 26-yard touchdown run by Mendez Jean-Baptiste. The Tigers scored for the fourth time when Jean-Baptiste hauled in a 12-yard pass from Boney two seconds before halftime to make it 26-6.

Oak Ridge (0-2) scored once in the first half, but starting quarterback CorVandre Curate, a senior transfer from Jones, threw a pair of early interceptions to give Jones’ offense extra opportunities. The Tigers took full advantage and built what proved to be an insurmountable lead.

The Pioneers got on the board in the second quarter when Greg Fields rammed his way past Jones defenders and dived across the goal line.

Late in the game, sophomore quarterback Junior Muratovic rallied the Pioneers. Muratovic, who didn’t start for Oak Ridge but replaced Curate, entered the game in the fourth quarter and connected on three straight pass attempts. He capped it with a 46-yard touchdown pass to Terence Walthour.

Muratovic started for the Pioneers last week against Pomona but struggled. His late-game flourish against Jones was redemption for the highly-touted passer, who is considered one of the area’s top sophomore quarterbacks.

The Pioneers are still trying to establish their running game behind Fields.

Jones, whose offense features only one senior, scored twice in the second half on long runs as the Pioneers’ defense failed to stop the Tigers’ running backs. In the third quarter, Avarius Sparrow scored on a 26-yard run. Tylor Bryant added a 27-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

The Pioneers host another rival rival, Evans, on Friday. Jones (1-1) plays at home against Colonial next Friday.