Pioneers Ready for Road Rivalry

The Team Faces Jones

Maiya Torres, Sports Editor

Jasmine Boyens
An Oak Ridge player runs for a touchdown against Pomona.

Will senior quarterback CorVondre Curate celebrate victory against his former team?

Curate, a transfer from Jones, hopes to play this Friday when the Pioneers travel to Jones to continue a long rivalry. Curate started the season on the bench for the Pioneers but came into the team’s season-opening 32-14 loss last Friday to throw a pair of touchdown passes against Colorado’s Pomona High School.

Last week, sophomore Junior Muratovic started for the Pioneers. He replaced senior Malik Davis, who is out for at least the next several weeks with a meniscus tear to his right knee. With Muratovic leading the offense, the team struggled to move the ball. Muratovic completed 13 of 23 passes for 93 yards. Curate came into the game in the second half and rallied the Pioneers for a pair of touchdowns.

Jones had only 127 yards of offense in a 17-3 loss to Wekiva last week.

The Tigers are coming off a highly successful season in which the team won its first district title in 21 years and finished 10-2. But more than two dozen seniors graduated last year, and the team’s offense may be in a rebuilding mode, but the defense still features two Division I recruits in linebacker Marcus Tillman, who commited to the University of Texas, and defensive end Raymond Cutts, who has had offers from several big schools.