Lady Pioneers Burning Up the Track

Team Takes First Place at Royal Open

Taylor Moore, Staff Writer

Behind a big effort from senior Marquasha Myers, the girls track team kicked off the 2018 season with a first-place team finish Feb. 23 at the Royal Open hosted by First Academy and a second-place finish at the Bob Mosher Wildcat Open Feb. 19. 

At the Royal Open, the Pioneers dominated the field in most dash events. In the 300 dash, Myers, Mysaul Saintine and Ashley Higgs finished 1-2-3. Myers also won the long jump and finished second ahead of teammates Jhanel Gordon and Ranecia Brown in the 100 dash. Brown, Saintine and
Higgs finished 3-4-5 in the 200 dash. Bensdjadini Michel finished second in the 400 dash and third in the 600 run.

At the Wildcat Open, Myers won the 200 dash, the long jump and the triple jump to spearhead the Lady Pioneers. She dashed to the 200 win in 26.26, and Higgs finished fourth in the same race. Myers also finished second in the 300 with Higgs finishing fifth. Brown finished third in the 400 dash and Michel followed her to the finish line for fourth place. Germanie Etienne took third in girls discus and fourth in shot put.

Head coach Odeika Bent likes the team’s early-season success but said the real measure of the team’s talent level will be tomorrow’s Kowboy Invitational. 

Koyboy and Hallandale Invitational with these meets it will test how good they are as a team. This year’s team is smaller than last year’s team, but the quality level is high. Chantel Johnson, Nyah Whitted and Jamyne Joseph graduated last spring. However, five of the returning athletes competed at the state meet last spring.