Pioneer Basketball Dominates Jones

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pioneer Basketball Dominates Jones

Emmitt Williams finishes off an alley-oop dunk on a halfcourt pass.

Lincoln Philips, Sports Editor

Senior power forward Emmitt Williams shined in his season debut Friday as the boys basketball team dominated Jones for a 64-39 win at home, and the team claimed an even bigger win Saturday in clipping Orlando Christian Prep, 64-61.

The Pioneers (1-0) used the momentum generated by the return of Williams, along with the raucous Oak Ridge crowd, to gain an early lead and increased it to double digits by the end of the first half.  

Jones started off hot at the beginning of the third period. However, their offense was staggered and their play was not fluent enough to handle the Pioneers’ defense. Senior Marcus Taylor, specifically, was stifling for Oak Ridge. He racked up six steals; which paralleled Williams’ five blocks.  

The second half was the same as the first. Oak Ridge kept adding to their lead.

Williams had 21 points and 17 rebounds in his debut game and was able to slam four monster dunks, including an alley-oop on the first play of the game and a putback dunk in the second period that riled up the crowd to their peak.

“It’s time for me to get my mind off the controversy and start doing what I love most. Ballin’ out,” said Williams, who had missed the first two games due to a legal matter. 

Seniors Damon Harge and Robin Perry combined for 24 points and six threes. They also combined for 45 points in the team’s Dec. 7  win against Orlando Christian Prep.

“This is a talented team, and we are ready to take over Orange County. We have the talent and intelligence to do so,” said coach Steve Reece. Reece has been able to set select defensive plays that are perfect for the team. This allows them to score fluently while keeping their opponents score low.

The Pioneers won both games despite missing 6-foot-7 senior shooting guard Antwann Jones, who recently committed to Texas A&M.