Soccer Team Opens Season

Wins With a Bang

Peter+Orelus
Back to Article
Back to Article

Soccer Team Opens Season

Peter Orelus

Peter Orelus

Jasmine Boyens

Peter Orelus

Jasmine Boyens

Jasmine Boyens

Peter Orelus

Jasmine Boyens, Editor in Chief

The boy’s varsity soccer team dominated, 9-1, in the season-opener against Foundation Academy.

The team took over the first half of the game while the Lions had few shot attempts, leaving the Pioneer goalkeeper with few necessary saves. The first half ended with a score of 5-0.

In the second half, the Lions stepped up their game with more shot attempts, and Foundation’s goalkeeper stopped the ball more often against the Pioneers. However, the Lions missed on most of their shot attempts and scored only once.

Towards the end of the second half, Julio Cesar attempted to make a score with three opposing players close behind. After an intense run, Cesar was unable to make the score but a penalty was called, giving the Pioneers a penalty shot from Jerry Paulche, who sent it in to end the game.

“We wanted to knock the ball around and play more possession, however, we can’t do anything about that. It was Jerry’s first goal and it was a good shot to finish the game,” said head coach Kenny Coutain

The game was a good start for the Pioneers and they felt like a strong team. “One goal that a striker scored, he kicked the ball in front and my striker [Demmat Kervenski] and just ran with it and all of us felt very connected,” said Chaby Damour.

About the Contributor
Jasmine Boyens, Editor in Chief

This being my second year in Oak Ridge Media I am excited to improve both myself and aspects of my school newspaper. I am a Junior at Oak Ridge and like...