Loss against Olympia Costs Pioneers Districts

Lincoln Philips, Sports Editor

Marcus Taylor was limited to one touchdown, while the Pioneers lacked their usual sporadic offense, allowing Olympia to steamroll their way into a 48-13 home win.

This game was a must win for Oak Ridge; losing this game resulted in lost hope for them to reach Districts this season.

Oak Ridge’s offense was outright sloppy, and Olympia’s precise playmaking didn’t help the Pioneers’ cause. These aspects set the tone for the game, allowing Olympia to score touchdowns left and right, defended by virtually no one on Oak Ridge’s defensive line. Olympia left Oak Ridge scoreless for the first half and ultimately won the game, allowing the team to advance in the district rankings.

The Pioneers did attempt to get back into the game in the third quarter, led by a 6 yard rush by Malik Davis to the end zone, followed by a 16-yard zip pass from Davis to Taylor for the 2nd touchdown of the game, making the score 27-13. Although the Titans stifling defense was too powerful for Oak Ridge to handle, which allowed Olympia to breeze through for the rest of the game.

“I’m tired of just losing over absolutely nothing. I’m sick of it,” said the Pioneer’s wide receiver Kevin Moran. This highlighted the rest of the frustrations on the team, as this loss was a huge blow to their season.

The first quarter’s momentum would automatically shift to the Tigers, as they scored a touchdown in the first 20 seconds of the game.

They would go on to score three more touchdowns, all virtually uncontested by Oak Ridge. The rest of the game would be basically, much of the same. The Pioneers were just too sloppy, and it seemed as if the pressure was getting to them. This was evident, when 10 minutes into the first quarter, Malik Davis fumbled the ball in the beginning of a play, which rarely happens for him.

“We tried to go out there and get the job done, and that’s all we can do. We just have to look to the future” said Oak Ridge’s head coach, Clint Johnson.

A highlight of the game was Davis’ play on the field. He completed 18 out of 30 passes and was responsible for all of his team’s field goals.

Despite the district-clinching loss, the team still has to look forward to their next game this Friday against Apopka, which will be their last game in the regular season. Regardless of any low spirits, the team will make sure that their season will go out with intense energy and determination to win.