Pioneers Win Big on Homecoming Friday

Taylor Tallies Four TDs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pioneers Win Big on Homecoming Friday

A player attempts to reel in a pass in the end zone.

Lincoln Phillips, Sports Editor

The pressure of a homecoming win sparked Oak Ridge’s offense as the varsity football team (3-4) defeated Cypress Creek 36-15 at home for their third win in the last four games.

The Pioneers were able to overpower Cypress Creek’s defensive line for the first three quarters, scoring a total of five touchdowns, including a 95-yard run by senior Marcus Taylor in the second quarter, and, moments later, an 85-yard run by senior Kevin Moran set up by a 13-yard zip pass from quarterback Malik Davis.

The Bears (2-5) did spark some offense in the fourth quarter by completing their second touchdown of the game. However, sloppy plays allowed the Pioneer defense to stop Cypress Creek from scratching back into contention..

“I’m just here to help my team and try to get this organization some wins for the future,” Taylor said of his strong performance. The wide receiver scored four times just four days after breaking the school’s single-game touchdown record with six scores.

The game started off with a bang when Taylor broke free with the ball and scored without much pressure from the defense.

The Pioneers’ defense stifled the Bears, holding Cypress Creek to 30 yards of offense in the first half.

Oak Ridge was also able to limit the amount of penalties in the game, only racking up 5. This allowed them to adroitly control their play and eventually outplay the Bears.

Moran and Taylor would end the game with a combined 275 yards, mainly set up by Davis, who has proven to be a great addition to the lineup.

This game marked their third win of the season, and set their record to 2-1 in the district. The team plays its third game in eight days when it travels to University on Tuesday. The Pioneers then have 10 days to prepare for a road game against Olympia. That matchup could decide whether the team lands in the playoffs.