Potential Win Slips Away from Pioneers

Carla Dominguez

Carla Dominguez

Lincoln Phillips, Sports Editor

The Oak Ridge varsity football team experienced yet another loss to the hands of Evans in the team’s second game with a score of 38-35.

The game may of been close when solely looked at the end score. However, a majority of the game was not as clear. The first half of the game was dominated by the Pioneers, due to their determination to pressure Evans defensive line. Marcus Taylor started the game with an early touchdown, sparking emotion throughout the whole team.

This emotion carried with yet another touchdown later in the quarter by Marcus Taylor. This time from a receiving pass from Malik Davis, which showed a beginning upper hand. The first half ended with a score of 12-0 in favor of Oak Ridge.

Through the third quarter, the Pioneers had a touchdown frenzy. One TD from #9 got the whole bench standing and cheering with excitement. Another TD from Kevin Moran, who has so far scored a TD in every game of the season, set up by a pass from Davis. The score was 27-0 in the midst of the third quarter.

However, they could not keep the lead. In a flurry of offense, the Tigers made several big plays. Intercepting sloppy passes, making smart cuts, earning key catches, and playing without turnovers. This resulted in Evans scoring a total of 5 touchdowns by the end of 4th quarter.

A sloppy play and a key mistake for Kevin Moran derailed their chances to come back. This caused frustrations throughout the team, most noticeably by Marcus Taylor who said “That, that right there? That just cost us the whole game”.

Taylor, stopped Evans’ run with another touchdown, making it his 4th of the game. Unfortunately, the Tigers made a come back from their 27 point deficit causing an end score of 38-35 Evans.