Basketball recruiter arrested Tuesday by FBI visited Oak Ridge days ago

Channai Williams, Lincoln Phillips, and Jasmine Boyens

Lamont Evans

The FBI arrested a college basketball assistant coach on bribery and fraud charges Tuesday as part of an investigation into a recruiting scandal that may impact the recruitment decision of one of this school’s top recruits.

In a press conference, the FBI alleged that Oklahoma State University basketball recruiter Lamont Evans accepted $22,000 in bribe money from two men, Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood. Evans then encouraged student-athletes to meet with financial advisers with ties to the sports apparel company Adidas. The advisers secretly funneled “cash to the families of high school recruits,” said Joon H. Kim, the Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

Evans was on the Oak Ridge campus earlier this month to meet with Pioneer senior guard Antwann Jones. After the meeting, Jones announced that he had accepted a scholarship offer to attend Oklahoma State, where Evans was promoted to associate head coach last spring.

Jones could not be reached Thursday for comment and has not publicly stated whether he is still committed to OSU. Evans was fired for cause by Oklahoma State officials Thursday afternoon.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, another local basketball recruit, former Edgewater guard Anfernee Simons, dropped his commitment to Louisville after the team’s head coach, Rick Pitino, was linked to the scandal.

The FBI stated that an unnamed player asked for $150,000 if schools wanted him to commit to their school. According to the Miami Herald, the player is “believed to be” Nassir Little. His AAU coach, Jonathan Brad Augustine, was also arrested this week in connection with the same scandal.

Evans is one of 10 people charged in the case, which also features other college basketball coaches, financial advisers, sports agents and an Adidas company executive.

Evans, who appeared in federal court in Oklahoma City yesterday, was released on $50,000 bond.

Oklahoma State officials released a statement:

“I want to reiterate that Oklahoma State University was shocked by the allegations made (Tuesday) against one of our assistant men’s basketball coaches. We learned about the allegations the same way most people did through media reports. The allegations are serious and they violate everything we stand for as an athletic department and university. As we have already stated, we will cooperate with federal officials and coordinate with the NCAA as we move forward with looking into this matter to the fullest extent. Let me underscore, we expect every person affiliated with our athletic program to conduct themselves with integrity and to comply with the rules and the law.”

According to TulsaWorld.com, the charges against Evans, when combined, carry a maximum federal sentence of 80 years. The charges include conspiracy to commit bribery, solicitation of bribes by an agent of a federally funded organization, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, honest wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

The arrest stemmed from a three-year investigation.

About the Writers
Channai Williams, Editor in Chief

Hello, My name is Channai Williams. This is my third and last year I’m pretty excited to be back on the OMG staff. I look forward to writing and covering...

Jasmine Boyens, Editor in Chief

This being my second year in Oak Ridge Media I am excited to improve both myself and aspects of my school newspaper. I am a Junior at Oak Ridge and like...