Track Pioneers Reach State

Alex Verdelus, Sports Editor

Junior Marquasha Myers smashed the school’s triple jump record April 27 at the Region 1 meet in Bunnell to advance to this weekend’s state meet at IMG Academy. Myers leaped 40 feet, 3 inches. Her feat established a new school record in the event. Her jump also is just a few inches short of this year’s top triple jump distance in the state. Junior Jada Freeman, of West Port High School, reached 40 feet, 6 inches in March.

Both Myers and Freeman have one more year to improve their jumps, but one may claim a state title next week.

In addition to Myers, runners Nyah Whited and Jasmyne Joseph qualified for state in the 100 meter dash, and Chantel Johnson qualified in the 300 meter hurdles. Joseph finished third, and Whited finished fourth. Joseph’s 12.20 time was two-tenths of a second off the second-place finisher. Whited also qualified for state in the 200 dash. She finished second in 25.35 seconds.

Myers, Whited, Joseph and Johnson also qualified for state in the 4×400 relay. The Pioneers missed qualifying in the 4×100 by just one-tenth of a second.

The school’s boys 4×400 relay team also advanced to state. Alexander Nkuitabong, Joshua Modeste, Carl Berne and Wood Pierre finished fourth at regionals.