Sports Roundup

Gabriela Alonso, News Editor

Winter Break marked a pivotal point in sports for the Pioneers. It served as a major comeback, paved the way to district, and introduce upcoming spring sports.

The boy’s basketball team continued their winning streak beating the Jones Tiger 76-57 on Dec. 5 and crushing the Cypress bear 82-45 on Dec. 9. However, the Pioneers suffered their first loss of the season away in Georgia, 79-68 against McEachern on Dec. 28; followed by another defeat at Westside High School 77-79 on Dec. 29. The team will face the Boone Brave Feb. 2 for their last game of the season before heading to districts.

Stats:

Home: 9-0

Away:  6-1

Neut:   3-3

Win %:  .818%

PF:  1787

PA: 1463

Strk: 1L

December was a tough month for the girl’s basketball team, it consisted of consecutive losses and only winning 3 games. The lady Pioneers got the victory 45-28 against Cypress on Dec. 28 and later beat Freedom 52-46 on Dec. 15. Finishing the year strong the team won 55-35, against Calvary Christian Academy on Dec.31. The Pioneers currently hold an 8-13-0 record. [districts]

The boy’s soccer team lost their perfect record title to rival Lake Nona on Dec. 1-0. The Pioneers were defeated 4-2 at Winter Park on Dec. 6. The boys didn’t get a break due to a tough lost 3-1 against Freedom on Dec.13. After consecutive losses, the team came back against Gateway, 4-1 on Dec.16. The Pioneers played Freedom for the second time for districts, the boys were not able to pull away with a win and lost 1-0 on Jan.27. They managed to lose again in the quarterfinals against Plant City 3-2 in overtime Feb.1. The boy’s soccer team finished the season with a 19-5-1 record.

The girl’s soccer team started December with a tie 1-1 against Foundation Academy on Dec. 2 but the momentum was quickly lost at Winter Park with a mercy rule 8-0 on Dec.6.  They were followed by two more losses at University 4-1 and Timber Creek 8-1. The Lady Pioneers faced Cornerstone again this season and overpower the duck with a 5-0 score on Dec.15. The Ladies headed into districts with a 5-13-3 record and lost to Lake Nona 5-0 Jan.17.

Oak Ridge will feature girl Lacrosse for the first time in history. Conditioning started Jan. 9th and it takes place after school on the soccer field. The first game of the season is Jan 14th.