Oak Ridge Overpowers Lake Nona

Alex Verdelus, Sports Editor

Oak Ridge’s boys varsity basketball team routed the Lake Nona Lions 95-76 on Wednesday night. The game was highlighted by numerous threes and giving a few highlight reel dunks.

Most of the Pioneers’ points came from thoroughly executed plays, which resulted in 10 three pointers from six different players. Junior Michael Devoe had a game-high 19 points and 7 rebounds. Sophomore Caleb Coleman contributed 14 points and 7 rebounds.

The Pioneers led the whole game and had a game-high 24 point lead in the third quarter. They maintained consistent play from their starters the whole game until coach Alex Jackson decided to sub in the reserves late in the fourth.

The Pioneers came out of the gate scorching in the first quarter with an 11-1 early lead. The Lions were never able to get into a rhythm, largely due to Oak Ridge’s stifling 2-3 zone defense and were down by a steep 58-39 margin by the second half.

The Pioneers have now extended their winning streak to seven games and with the win on Friday against Winter Park, they now stand at 16-3 on the season.

“Lately, we’ve been really connecting and gelling more. So now we’re just looking forward to the playoffs,” said sophomore Ornado Bent, who scored 10 points including a trio of three-pointers.

Oak Ridge will now set it sights for a Tuesday night home non-conference game against Jacksonville’s Bishop Snyder at 7 p.m.