Education Reformation

Emily Lopez, Editorial Editor

This year, 82% of students will graduate high school in the U.S. and about 80% of those that go to college will change their major at least once. These changes will affect students in a, not so positive way.

According to an article on Fastweb.com, an issue students often face is that they may lose a scholarship for a specific major if they change it. Students may also have an issue with student loans, seeing as some colleges only allow changes in majors at specific points in time; this can cause students to have to spend more time in college to make up for lost time in previous majors. Staying longer means paying more, as a result, 71% of college graduates are in debt.

The problem is, the changes aren’t just the fault of the students. Schools, specifically public high schools, need reformation. The way a school teaches and treats students affects students’ futures. Schools tend to make students have specific credits and pass specific classes in order to graduate high school. The credits these students need are math, science, history, and language arts; they are the same classes that students take starting in elementary, just harder. This affects students negatively because most high schools don’t let students explore their interests for career paths. They don’t touch on this topic enough, they don’t bring in people who actually work with that career so kids know what to expect and know if they might want to go into a different career path.

The question I want you to ask yourself is, when you get off of that graduation stage will you be ready for the real world? Will you know most of the information you need to know as an adult? The truth is, most high school students aren’t ready. Most of it has to do with the curriculum and can be changed easily. Homeschooled students and students attending sudbury schools have a 15% higher rate of being successful and getting further education and employment. With that method of teaching students pick what they want to learn and how they want to learn it. We should take the example of this unorthodox method and try to incorporate it in high schools. Schools can either add an extra period or make an elective for students to explore future careers, maybe have people from those careers meet with the students and teach them things they’ll need to know and use as adult, for example money management. This will ensure students have a better idea of what career they should take and they’ll also know useful skills needed as an adult.