Experiencing Golf Solo

Samantha Bailon

Samantha Bailon, Editor in Chief

Kerlenz Lapaine, SGA treasurer, honor student, and soon-to-be golf soloist was recently announced to be qualified for the girl’s golf regionals in Daytona, Florida. Junior Kerlenz, had recently played in districts with her team this past month at the Celebration golf course, earning a score of 118 making her the second lowest non-qualifying team score, meaning she had just individually moved up and earned a spot into regionals.

It’s been almost three years since Kerlenz has picked up a set of clubs for the first time and she has been prospering into an important member of the team ever since freshman year. Although her motivation into joining may have been an act of boredom or her best friend and teammate, junior Estefania Bravo, she has been enjoying her golf experience throughout these past years and continues to show a massive interest in the sport.

“She is always there to motivate me when I am playing terrible,” says Estefania “She makes me feel like I can do something.”

Other than golf, Kerlenz has been involved off the field in countless clubs such as National Honor Society, Student Government, BETA club, and Science National Honor Society. She has also maintained high grades in Advance Placement classes without it interfering with her countless golf sessions with Coach Thomas O’Brien.

The evening of the district tournament, the girls were divided into groups, Kerlenz separated from her teammates into the fifth group. Each waiting desperately for their results, one by one, they would soon find out. The scoring table would tally the teams and before Kerlenz was even able to see, her teammates as well as O’Brien were congratulating her.

“Participating in regionals means that I am improving on my golf skills,” says Kerlenz, “that if I get good enough, I am one step closer to possibly getting a scholarship in golf for college.”

After high school, Kerlenz hopes to be attending college participating in a golf team. However, if the opportunity does not arise, she still plans on continuing to play; just not as frequently but definitely for the rest of her life recreationally if not competitively.

Just like any sport the competition can cause massive frustration, when asked how she copes with the intensity of tournaments, Kerlenz said “I inherited my mother and grandmother’s personality trait of not losing your temper and getting easily frustrated.”

Of course, she also has the support from her loving team who they now refer to one another as a family. Gaining a sense of teamwork and friendship, Kerlenz intends to keep contact with the girls after graduation.

When many are asked about golf, they feel entitled to yawn or know only the scandals of famous golf professional, Tiger Woods. However, experienced and admirer, Kerlenz has many thoughts as to why it is such a great sport to play.

“When you play it feels like you can get transported into a different world because when you play the game you think about yourself and the game, not outside stuff,” says Kerlenz “there is no room for that, it is just you, the ball and the large field of open grass.”

The enthusiasm and delightful insight may be why Kerlenz is setting a successful path for herself in the world of golf and other personal and academic achievements.