Boone Muscles Way Past Pioneers

The Ridge Falls in Opener

August 26, 2016

Junior Marcus Taylor carries the ball into the end zone. His touchdown was canceled by a holding penalty.

Samantha Bailon

Inexperience and mistakes doomed Oak Ridge Aug. 19 in the team’s season-opening game at Boone. The Pioneers suffered a 20-7 road loss to the Braves due, in part, to penalties. The yellow flags seemingly sailed through the air for much of the night as Oak Ridge racked up more than 60 yards in penalties. Referees set the tone early with a flag for a holding penalty to wipe out a touchdown on Oak Ridge’s first possession. On the play, junior Marcus Taylor worked himself free on the left side and made a leaping grab. Taylor scurried down the left sideline for the score, but his celebration was short-lived, and Oak Ridge did not overcome the penalty.

Oak Ridge had other drives stifled by the team’s own mistakes, and Boone’s defense proved stifling in the game’s second half. The Braves kept the Pioneers scoreless until the fourth quarter, when sophomore Xavier Carpenter scored a 5-yard run to the right side.

Boone head coach Andy Johnson said it was more than penalties that put Oak Ridge at a disadvantage.

“We had a veteran defense, and Oak Ridge has a young offense,” Johnson said before huddling with his players after their win.

Boone took the lead early in the game on a 10-yard touchdown run. In the third quarter, the Braves stretched the lead to 13-0 via a 33-yard touchdown pass. Boone added a 2-yard touchdown run to make it 20-0 in the fourth quarter.

Boone really ran away with the game in the fourth with a 17-yard pass on the 19-yard line and made a smooth transition run for 2 yards to the end zone. mention for scoring drives any big plays, how many plays it took, how many yards they went.

Johnson acknowledged that defeating Oak Ridge was a notable accomplishment.

“Competing against a tough team like Oak Ridge is always a great kick-start to the season,” said Johnson.

The Pioneers will look to bounce back against rival Jones in tonight’s home opener at 7.p.m.

Oak Ridge Media • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in