Striking Down The Competition: Oak Ridge Boys Bowling Season Summary

Back to Article
Back to Article

Andy Trulock, Feature Editor

The Oak Ridge Pioneers boys bowling team took to the lanes over the past few months, racking up some record-breaking feats along the way. Their 11-4 season resulted in being the District runner-ups and making the first round one of states, both firsts for the team. During the first round of states, Oak Ridge needed to place at least 16th of the many teams competing. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to advance to states but just being able to qualify was a momentous achievement.

“I enjoyed it and had a pretty solid season.” said Bowler Elias Rivera in reference to the whole season. Though they were not able to achieve as much as they would have prefered, but they are very proud of themselves as a whole as well as individually, rightfully so.

Senior Dayton Watts averaged 564 per match and said that the team has improved greatly since he started in 2012. Watts was selected to the All-Metro East Bowling Team after his stellar performance during the season.

“My freshman year we started 0-10 and now we’re district runner-ups.” Because the team has been playing together for four years, they’ve developed a great sense of teamwork that contributed to their success.

Watts also said “We are like brothers.” And he believes that the team will continue with its success since only two members are seniors. The season’s best game was a 234 bowled by Frederico Reyes.