What Is Vaping?

Gradi Mbuyi, News Brief Writer

With controversies surrounding the issue of smoking cigarettes, many have tried to find something less harmful. While it isn’t talked about as much, many teens are dictated to smoking. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, among 10th graders, 14% of students use e-cigarettes. The Government agency also found that compared to e-cigarettes, kids in the same grade level are using cigarettes far less. Only 6.8% of 10th graders were exposed to traditional cigarettes.

“I know a lot of people who vape,” said Joseph Nguyen, an 11th grader, “It’s not only teenagers who do it. I know more adults who do. Most people vape because they think that it’s not as harmful as cigarettes.”

This sentiment is shared by many people across the country. While vaping may cause less harm than smoking cigarettes, it’s still lethal. According to the same study conducted by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 30% of teens who vape are more likely to smoke in the future. 

Recently, Florida legislators have passed a law banning vaping in public places; a law that is fairly similar to that of the smoking ban. In hopes of dealing with the vaping issue, the law makes vaping illegal in most places, leaving people with the choice to only do it in their property or other private institutions (who allows vaping of course). 

“I think the ban is useless,” Nguyen added, “It’s not really stopping anything. Kids don’t listen, and when you ban something, they would want to do it even more.”

The ban came into effect on July 1st, and has sparked a lot of controversy. Many people are asking themselves whether or not this is necessary.

“The ban will help reduce vaping of course,” said Nathan Soto, a student at Oak Ridge High, “It might not end it altogether, but it will help.”

The vaping law is fairly new. It will take time to see the effects of the ban. In the near future, we can decide whether or not the law was necessary. But right now, all we can do is wait and watch.