We Must Stand Up to Police Brutality

Police+brutality+is+not+a+new+occurrence+in+the+United+States.+In+the+photo+circa+1965%2C+Los+Angeles+officers+beat+a+man+pulled+over+for+reckless+driving.+The+problem+is+still+around+almost+50+years+later.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

We Must Stand Up to Police Brutality

Police brutality is not a new occurrence in the United States. In the photo circa 1965, Los Angeles officers beat a man pulled over for reckless driving. The problem is still around almost 50 years later.

Savannah Leinbock, Editor

An Orange County Sheriff’s officer took a young girl who attends Westridge Middle School into custody on Nov. 7. However, the officer yanked the young girl’s hair and was being extremely aggressive towards the children and adults trying to help them. So, my question is: do we allow this? Is this what we expect from our sheriff’s department? Someone who harasses our children?

No, this is something we should never stand for. We assume our sheriff’s department will keep us safe and protected; not hurt our friends, families and children. This officer thought he was “protecting” us from a young girl, a middle school student, a daughter and a friend. If you watched the video released by the Orlando Sentinel, you can see this young girl is frustrated, she’s upset, but instead of talking to her as an adult should he reprimands her by yanking her hair and screaming.

In the video, he says, “You’re all just silly stupid children.” Is this how we want the children to be treated?  Children in our community already have a hard time with cops and law officials. This may be because of family or maybe because of personal reasons. However, most have a hard time with law enforcement. So, for a sheriff to be yelling at you in your face, it makes you upset. There’s no doubt about it. Cops are known for brutality. But why? Why is it that we’re scared of cops? This is why. This is the exact reason. When we get treated like the bottom of the pit, how can we trust them? 

We have a right to be upset and to have a negative perspective on this. Although law enforcement is making a step to stand for the community, the officer who made this act was fired and will no longer be working in law enforcement for Orange County. 

To ensure this doesn’t happen again, the sheriff’s office needs to provide officers with more training with how to deal with minors and, in the case of the fired deputy, anger management classes might help, too.