Student vs. Sheriff Incident

Savannah Leinbock, Sports Editor

On November 7th, an Orange County Sheriff’s Officer took a young girl that attends Westridge middle school into custody. However, the officer yanked the young girl’s hair and was being extremely aggressive towards the children and adults try to help around them. So my question is do we allow this? Is this what we expect from our sheriff’s department? Someone who harasses our children?

No, this is something we should never stand for. We assume our Sheriff’s department will keep us safe and protected not hurt our friends, families, and children most important. This officer thought he was “protecting” us from a young girl, a middle school student, a daughter, and a friend. If you watched the video released by the Orlando sentinel you can see this young girl is frustrated, she’s upset, but instead of talking to her as an adult should he reprimands her by yanking her hair and screaming.

In the video, he says “Your all just silly stupid children.” Is this how we want the children to be treated?  Children in our community already have a hard time with cops and law officials may be because of family or maybe because of personal reasons. However, most have a hard time with law enforcement. So, for a sheriff to be yelling at you in your face it makes you upset. There’s no doubt about it cops are known for brutality but why? Why is it that were scared of cops you ask. This is why this is the exact reason we get treated like the bottom of the pit and were expected to “trust them.”

We have a right to be upset and to have a negative perspective on this. Although law enforcement is making a step to stand for the community. The sheriff that made this act was fired and will no longer be working in law enforcement for Orange County.