Pioneer Football Notches First Win

Defense Dominates Windermere on Homecoming Night

Joe Travis Scrogham

Junior Muratovic connected for two touchdown passes in the team's first win of the season.

Savannah Leinbock, Sports Editor

A re-energized varsity football team snatched its previously elusive first win Thursday against Windermere. The host Pioneers dominated in front of a homecoming week crowd. The defense shut out the Wolverines, who had negative total yardage due to a swarming Pioneer defense that repeatedly tackled Windermere runners in the backfield.

Oak Ridge (1-7) took the lead midway through the opening quarter when quarterback Junior Muratovic burst through the defense for a 1-yard touchdown run. A short time later, Muratovic, a junior, connected with senior wideout Khalitri Zow to put the home team ahead 14-0. 

Early in the second quarter, senior Demetrius Sanders hauled in a 29-yard pass from Muratovic for a score to make it 20-0. 

The Pioneers put the game away by scoring 16 points in just three minutes to close out the first half. First, senior running back Jamaris Burke scored on a 3-yard touchdown run. The green-and-gold then got a safety and capped the scoring spurt with an 8-yard touchdown run by sophomore Christopher Torchon.

Oak Ridge next plays Dr. Phillips. Windermere (1-6) faces Boone.